Celebrate Malabrigo March Madness with the very clever knitwear designer Kitman Figueroa! Last November I discovered Kitman's work and quickly added her exquisite lacey shawl patterns and other accessories to my website. This month she's one of the designers whose work is being applauded by the Malabrigo Junkies group on Ravelry, they selected her beautiful Damask Shawl for an official Malabrigo March Madness KAL and the KAL is open to all Ravelry members who love Mal yarn.
For this Blog Giveaway Kitman has generously donated a Damask Shawl pattern and I'm throwing in a skein of Malabrigo Sock to knit it in, more on how to enter below. This Giveaway ends March 23, giving the winner plenty of time to join the Malabrigo Junkies KAL.
Besides generously donating her pattern this fellow Texan has also taken the time to answer some interview questions for us, lets get to know her a little better!
Meet Kitman: My name is Kitman Figueroa, born at Malaysia and now residing at Plano, TX. I love knitting and enjoy designing as well. I love green, purple and turquoise. At the moment, I am insanely in love with sock yarn! My yarn, addi needles and laptop are my best friends!
1. Please tell us about yourself and what got you interested in knitting and designing knitwear.
I am a Malaysian who married a Texan and now residing in Plano, TX. I was a retail pharmacist before I am married and now I am a full time house wife with plenty of times to knit. I started knitting when I was still in college and the first thing i knitted was a sweater for my hubby. (boyfriend back then). I stopped knitting for several years and picked up again at year 2005. I started designing around 2008 and things get more serious last year.
2. What is your design philosophy?
I like to try different kind of knitting stitches and hope to use them to make unique designs. I guess my philosophy is a simple one; it just has to be beautiful! =)
3. Who or what inspires you the most in your design process?
I would say beautiful yarn inspire me a lot and also the supports from my family.
4. What direction do you see yourself heading in as a designer?
I will keep making more shawls and definitely will design other knitwear in the future.
5. How have the advances in technology and the internet helped you (or hindered) you as a knitwear designer?
It helps A LOT!!! I self learned most of the knitting skills online through some informative forums. I can say, without Ravelry, my designs won't be known by other knitters that easily. Also, with the advances in technology and internet, I manage to know more about other designers' works as well in order to inspire me in my own designs.
Kitman thank you so much for taking the time to talk to with us, it was a pleasure getting to know you and we look forward to seeing more designs from you.
From her beautiful lace shawls to a comfy pair of slippers visit my site to see Kitman's entire collection. And all of Kitman's patterns are available as PDFs that are emailed to you after purchase with no shipping charges.
Excluded in this Offer: patterns sold as PDFs, knitting bags, dyeloted bags of yarn and any item that is already on sale. Offer may not be combined with any other and it is not retroactive.
The Damask Pattern & Malabrigo Sock Giveaway includes the pattern, emailed to the winner as a PDF, and 1 skein of Malabrigo Sock in Lettuce. No purchase is necessary to enter and the winner will be announced on March 23, 2011.
Enter this Giveaway:
The more ways you enter, the more chances you have to win and make sure to leave a comment telling exactly what you did to enter. And please make sure to include your contact information.
1. Leave a comment about your favorite Kitman Figueroa pattern, under this blogpost.
2. Blog about this Giveaway on your blog and link it, leave a comment under this blogpost with the link back to your blogpost.
3. Join my Ravelry group Sandrasingh.com and introduce yourself in the "Welcome Tell us About Yourself..." thread.
4. Announce this Giveaway in your Ravelry group or in another Ravelry group that allows you to announce Blog Giveaways.
5. Friend me on Facebook: Sandra Singh and say you "Like" my post about this Giveaway.
6. Announce this Giveaway (with the link) on Facebook
7. Follow me on Twitter: Sandrasingh
8. Announce this Giveaway (with the link) on Twitter.
9. Sign up for my Newsletter on my Home Page.
10. Sign up to "Follow my Blog."