Monday, May 5, 2014

Prayer Shawl KAL or CAL: I Casted On!

Our Prayer Shawl KAL or CAL began on May 1st and there is still plenty of time to join.  Visit my Ravelry group Sandrasingh.com for details.

As for me I’m using 3 skeins of my Sandrasingh 1 Ply Merino Worsted in Love Potion #5 and I’ll throw in some Firebird for the fringe. 


Using the free Basic Prayer Shawl pattern I got started!

Basic Prayer Shawl Pattern
Yarn: about 550-660 yards (500-600 meters) Bulky, Worsted or Sport held double
Needles: 10.5 (6.5mm) or size needed to get gauge


Pattern: Cast on stitches in odd-divisible multiples of three – (81 or 87 sts).  The seed (moss, rice) stitch is used throughout pattern, i.e as the stitches face you, knit the purl stitches, and purl the knit stitches.
Row 1:  k3, p3, to end, turn.
Continue as Row 1 until garment measures 60” long
Cast Off


Fringe: Fringe can be an integral part of the prayer shawl.  Joan Johnson, coordinator of St Luke’s Knitting Ministry in Bloomington, Minnesota, says they tie each fringe to avoid fraying. While tying fringe, a knitter/crocheter prays for the recipient of the finished shawl.  Recipients of the shawls often comment how much they like the fringe.  Some have remarked they use the knots for praying – like prayer beads!  Thus, the fringe becomes an essential part of the shawl ministry.  A favorite fringe design ties three long strands (16″ long making 8″ strands) on every other row, skipping the rows in between.  


And I'm pleased!  Hope you can join us!

No comments: